Unfortunately, it’s coming to the end of peach season which is honestly one of my favorite seasons. I’m pretty bummed that I’m not going to get my peach fix for a whole year, so I thought I’d make the best out of the peaches I had left. And If you’ve been following my account for a little bit, then you would know that very first thought was to bake them into scones. Obviously! Scones are my favorite! To add a little bit of uniqueness and flavor, I also added some fresh basil from my garden. And voila! These Vegan Peach and Basil Scones were born!
While it may seem like an odd combo, the peach and basil pair so wonderfully together. When you take a bite, immediately you taste the sweet peachy flavor and then the basil comes in as a very subtle aftertaste. They’re perfect for breakfast scones, but you could honestly eat them for dessert too.
As for allergy substitutes, you will need to use non-dairy margarine and non-dairy milk. For the non-dairy margarine, I like to use Earth Balance which comes in both vegan and soy-free versions. For the non-dairy milk, I like to use Califia Farms Oat milk or Chobani oat milk. However, there are so many butter and milk substitutes out there that I’m sure you can use any kind you would like.
I really hope you like this recipe for Vegan Peach and Basil Scones! I loved them so much. It was the perfect way to use the last of my peaches. Although, who knows, maybe I’ll be able to find a good basket of peaches at next weeks farmer’s market. Anyways, if you like scones, I have plenty of scone recipes on my breakfast page. Otherwise, if you want another way to use your scones, definitely check out these Vegan Peach Streusel Muffins! Thanks for reading and I’ll see you next week!
Vegan Peach and Basil Scones
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- ⅓ c granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 8 tbsp cold, non-dairy margarine (cut into small pieces)
- 1 c diced peaches
- ¼ c fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½-⅔ c non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp melted non-dairy margarine
- raw cane sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. With a pastry cutter or two knives, cut non-dairy butter into the flour mixture until it becomes the size of very coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the chopped basil and lemon zest. Stir in ½ C non-dairy milk and mix well. Add remaining liquid if the mixture is too dry. Add the chopped peaches and fold until just mixed.
- On lightly floured surface, knead dough and shape into an 8-inch circle about 1-inch in thickness. Cut dough into 8 wedges and place in baking sheet.
- Brush top of scones with melted butter and sprinkle with raw cane sugar. Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes. Can be served warm or at room temperature.
Leave a Reply