Cold and snow, more cold and more snow, rain and snow and then more cold. I know I talked about this in our last post but do you see a pattern here? I don’t know if anyone else feels the same way but I LOVE snow but its the cold weather that drags on and BUMS me out. February is when I start dreaming of those warm summer months and since my dreams always include something sweet to eat, I’ve been craving sweet, delicious strawberries. Finding good strawberries in the winter can be hard but the other day Costco had the best looking strawberries I have seen in a while!
Truth to be told, I was also craving donuts so it was time to combine both my cravings into this one amazing Vegan Strawberry Donut recipe. These are not your ordinary donuts. And they are amazing!
These donuts are full of fresh strawberries. We are talking double-impact of fresh strawberries in both the donut and the glaze! And they are baked so they are super easy to make and healthier than the fried version. You can’t get a fresher tasting donut than this!
Donuts are easy to substitute for allergies because the ingredients are simple to start with. We used Simple Truth vegan virgin coconut oil and maple syrup as a sweetener because we prefer the maple syrup for this recipe, but you can use granulated sugar instead. For the egg, we added 1 teaspoon vinegar to the sugar recipe. We hope you enjoy our new donut recipe. Check out our other breakfast ideas and if you like donuts, we have a great Matcha Donut recipe!
Vegan Strawberry Donuts
- ¼ c coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ c maple syrup
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1¼ c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ c fresh strawberries, chopped
- ⅔ c non-dairy milk
- ¼ c fresh strawberries; chopped
- 2 c powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 tbsp non-dairy milk
For the Donuts
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and grease a 6-hole donut pan.
- Melt the coconut oil and place in a medium bowl. Add the maple syrup, vinegar, and vanilla and mix together.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Alternate adding the flour mixture to the wet mixture until it is mixed well. The batter should be thick.
- Chop the fresh strawberries and fold into the dough mixture. For donuts, I like to finely chop my strawberries into smaller pieces.
- Spoon the batter into the greased donut pan and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it cool. Carefully remove the donuts and place them on a wire rack.
For the Glaze
- While donuts are cooling, make the glaze by chopping the strawberries and either pureeing them or using a fork to make smaller pieces and to release some of the juices.
- In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar, vanilla, chopped strawberries and juices. Slowly add the non-dairy milk 1 tablespoon at a time, until the glaze is at your desired thickness.
- Once the donuts are cool, dip the donuts and swirl around until the top is coated. Place on a wire rack, glaze facing up, to let the excess glaze drip off. Drizzle with remaining glaze or decorate with sprinkles.
Leave a Reply