My daughter came home from college to visit for the week, but unfortunately, she had to go back to school this past Wednesday. How upsetting is it that my daughter chose her education over spending time with her own mother!?!?! How rude! Haha no, I’m kidding, I support her academics and all that I just wish I got to see her more. To express these sentiments to her, I decided it was a good idea to sent her back to school with a homemade baked good in hand. So, I put my thinking cap on and tried to imagine what the perfect baked good for her would be. She loves chocolate…PERFECT! I’ll make Vegan Triple Chocolate Scones. And I’ll slip some espresso powder into the recipe because we all know college students need their coffee.
This recipe calls for an egg replacement. I love Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer. It’s vegan and soy-free. The recipe also calls for a non-dairy buttermilk. What I normally do to make buttermilk is I take a normal non-dairy milk substitute like Califia Farm’s Oat Milk (or any other non-dairy milk you like) and I mix 1/2 cup non-dairy milk with 1/2 Tablespoons of vinegar or lemon juice. Then, I let it sit for a bit and you have buttermilk! For the non-dairy margarine, I like to use Earth Balance which comes in vegan and soy-free versions. Finally, for the non-dairy chocolate chips, my all-time favorite chocolate chip brand is Enjoy Life Mini Chips.
These turned out so so so good. Oh my goodness. They melt in your mouth and are sooo chocolatey. My daughter loved them and took a ton back to college for her roommates to try (although, I doubt she’ll actually share them haha). Trust me, if you want a chocolate scone recipe, look no further than this recipe. It’s perfect.
I hope you enjoy these Vegan Triple Chocolate Scones as much and my daughter does. If you like scones, you’re on the right site because I have plenty of scone recipes for you to check out. Maybe you’ll like these Vegan Blood Orange Cardamom Scones or these Vegan Espresso Chocolate Chip Sourdough Scones. Honestly, I have so many scone recipes, just look on the Breakfast Recipe page to find more. As always, I hope you enjoy it and I’ll see you next week!
Vegan Triple Chocolate Scones
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 1/3 c granulated sugar
- ¼ c cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp espresso powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 egg replacer replacement
- 1/2 c plus 2T non-dairy buttermilk
- 8 tbsp non-dairy margarine
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c mini non-dairy chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp melted non-dairy margarine
- 1-2 tbsp raw turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Follow directions to make the egg replacer and set aside. Make the non-dairy buttermilk by adding ½ tablespoon of vinegar to the non-dairy milk.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, cocoa, espresso, baking powder and sea salt. Grate the frozen non-dairy margarine and add it to the flour mixture. Using a fork, pastry cutter or your hands, mix together until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the egg replacer and the non-dairy buttermilk and vanilla and mix until combined. The dough should look crumbly but will clump together. Add the non-dairy chocolate chips and stir until evenly mixed.
- Dust a surface with flour and add the dough mixture. Form a 10-inch circle and cut into 8 different scones. I like to place them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to firm them up but you can cook them right away if you want.
- Remove and transfer to the baking sheet. Melt the non-dairy margarine and brush the tops of the scones. Sprinkle with the turbinado sugar. Bake for 20 minutes. Transfer to a baking sheet to cool. Serve cool or warm.