This is the best Best Vegan Chocolate Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting I’ve ever had! We’ve had this recipe in my family ever since my daughter was born. We haven’t found a chocolate cake recipe that tops this one since! It is moist and dense with such a wonderful chocolatey flavor. We make this cake for every single birthday in the family, and it’s so good that we never get sick of it! And the recipe is crazy easy! You could make it with your kids!
Another fun thing about this recipe is when you are putting the ingredients together, you can do a little science experiment! This is especially fun if you have kids! To do the experiment, pour the vinegar right over the baking soda! It’ll bubble up and pop. I know this trilled my daughter when she was younger. See the above photo for an example of what this fun experiment might look like!
For the cream cheese frosting, we used Earth Balance vegan butter. You can get either the vegan or soy-free option. For the cream cheese, we used Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese. This cream cheese is vegan, but not soy-free, so if you’re soy-free, I’d recommend you find a different cream cheese. This frosting is so amazing! Trust me, you’ll love how thick and flavorful it is! And, it’s not overwhelmingly sweet!
I really hope you love the Best Vegan Chocolate Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting as much as my family does! If you like this cake and want to try another cake recipe, try our Vegan Apple Gingerbread Cake or our Vegan Autumn Fig Cake! For anyone who is making this cake for a birthday: Happy Birthday! And for anyone who is making this recipe because they want cake: YAY, me too!
Best Vegan Chocolate Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 c all-purpose flour
- 2 c granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- ⅔ c oil
- 2 c water
- 1 tsp vanilla
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ c vegan margarine
- ¾ c vegan cream cheese (we use Toffutti)
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ c unsweetened cocoa
- 2 c powdered sugar
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 cake pan.
- Using a mixer, add all the ingredients in the above order. To thrill the kids, pour the vinegar on top of the baking soda and watch it bubble!
- Stir to blend before you mix, this will prevent the cocoa powder from flying up and making a mess. After blending, mix on medium speed for 1-2 minutes until the batter is no longer lumpy. The batter will not be thick.
- Pour batter into the greased pan and bake from 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Set aside to cool. This recipe also makes 24 cupcakes. Bake cupcakes for 18-20 minutes.
- To make the frosting, cream together the non-dairy margarine, cream cheese, salt and vanilla using a mixer with a paddle attachment. Add the cocoa, put a towel over the opening and mix on low until the cocoa and margarine mixture is mixed thoroughly. Slowly add the powdered sugar and then increase the speed to medium and beat for 4-5 minutes until frosting is light and fluffy. Chill before using.
- Once the cake is cooled, remove frosting from the refrigerator and spread over the cake and decorate. Keep refrigerated before you are ready to serve and after.
For two 9-inch round pans, bake 25-30 minutes.