I might have outdone myself with this one…I mean look at it!!! The bright orange color! The chocolate swirl on top! The pepita sprinkled around! *chef’s kiss* It’s simply beautiful. I really am impressed with myself. Anyways, I’ll stop bragging for a bit. This Pumpkin Chocolate Bread with Pepita Streusel is the perfect bread for the beginning of the Fall season. Pumpkin is the flavor of Fall, so it seems only fitting that we start Fall with a pumpkin recipe.
I didn’t even realize it was Fall until I walked into Trader Joe’s the other day was greeted with an explosion of pumpkin, cinnamon, and spices. Immediately, I knew it was time to put together some Fall recipes, so I gathered multiple cans of pumpkin puree and started prepping. Prepare for some amazing Fall recipes coming your way soon.
This Pumpkin Chocolate Bread with Pepita Streusel is absolutely incredible. The pepitas (a type of pumpkin seed) give it such a wonderful nutty flavor which is a perfect substitution for people with nut allergies. This recipe also used non-dairy margarine in which I use Earth Balance. Earth Balance butter comes in both soy-free and vegan options. You will also need to use some non-dairy milk. I prefer oat milk. The brands I really like are Califia Farms and Chobani. Feel free to make any substitutions you like, these are just my suggestions!
Not only is this bread incredible looking, it tastes wonderful as well! The flavors combine together amazingly and the streusel is extraordinary! If you have any leftover pumpkin after this recipe, be sure to check out these Brown Butter Pumpkin Orange and Cranberry Muffins with Orange Glaze and these Vegan Orange Pumpkin Cakes! I hope you enjoy this Pumpkin Chocolate Bread with Pepita Streusel and I’ll see you next week!
Pumpkin Chocolate Bread with Pepita Streusel
- ¼ c brown sugar
- ⅓ c all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp rolled oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ c non-dairy margarine
- ¼ c pepitas
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ c non-dairy milk
- ¼ c canola or coconut oil
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ c granulated sugar
- 1 c unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder + 2T non-dairy milk
- Preheat oven to 350° and spray a 8.5 to 9-inch loaf pan and line with parchment paper.
- Make the streusel by combine the sugar, flour, oats and cinnamon. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut the non-dairy margarine into the streusel mixture until the mixture forms crumbs. Add the pepitas and mix together. Place in the refrigerator while you make the bread.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the non-dairy milk, oil, applesauce and vanilla. Next add the sugar and pumpkin puree and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and mix making sure the batter is thoroughly combined.
- Transfer 1 cup of the batter into a small bowl. In another small bowl combine the cocoa powder and 2 tablespoons of non-dairy milk. Add this to the one cup of batter and mix well.
- Pour half of the pumpkin batter into the prepared loaf pan. Add the chocolate batter to the top of the pumpkin batter and spread over the top. Using a knife, swirls the batters together from one end to another. Add the pepita streusel to the top and press lightly.
- Bake the bread for 50-55 minutes until the toothpick in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Leave a Reply