Ginger….Cardamom….Cinnamon….and Lemon flavors are all in this beautiful Vegan Spiced Pear Crostata. The flavors here will wake up your tastebuds as the crust melts in your mouth. This is one show stopper that is so easy to make that you’ll want to keep it to yourself.
vegan, nut-free, dairy-free, egg-free
- Prep Time: 30m
- Cook Time: 40m
- Total Time: 1h 10m
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. raw turbinado sugar
- 2 tsp. non-dairy milk
- 2 ripe firm pears, peeled if desired
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp. cardamom
- 4 tbsp. ice water
- 8 tbsp. vegan margarine, cut into pieces
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
Make the dough:
- Using a food processor, pulse the flour, sugar, salt, and lemon zest until blended. Cube the non-dairy margarine, place it in with the flour mixture, and pulse until it looks like breadcrumbs, about 15-20 seconds.
- Add 4 tablespoons of cold water to the mixture and pulse until the dough forms a ball. Add 1 teaspoon at a time if the mixture is too dry.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to form a 12-inch disk. Add parchment to a cookie sheet and place dough on parchment paper. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes up to 2 days.
Make the Crostata:
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Remove pastry dough from the refrigerator and let sit for 10-15 minutes. In a small bowl, stir together the sugar, cardamom, grated ginger, and cinnamon. It's okay if it looks grainy and wet. Set aside.
- Cut pears in half and using a melon baller, remove the cores, ends, and stem. Slice each half into thin, ¼ inch pieces. Add to a bowl and squeeze in the lemon juice and mix to coat.
- Leaving a 2-inch border around the dough, sprinkle with half of the sugar mixture. Arrange pears shingle-style on top of the sugar mixture. Sprinkle the remaining sugar mixture on top of the pears. Sprinkle lemon zest on top.
- Fold the edges of the dough over some of the pears but leave most of the pears exposed in a circle. Brush the outside crust with non-dairy milk and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until the inside is bubbling and the edges are golden brown. Cool for 15 minutes, slice and serve.
Leave a Reply