This Vegan Sugar Cookie is so easy to make that it will soon be your favorite cookie recipe. These cookies are crisp on the outside but soft on the inside and the kids will love them. Not only do they taste good but they are easy to decorate and can be cut into your favorite shapes. Your kids will love them!
- Prep Time: 2h 10m
- Cook Time: 10m
- Total Time: 2h 20m
- 1 c non-dairy margarine; softened
- 1 c granulated sugar
- 1 egg replacer equivalent
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 c all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. non-dairy milk
- 1 1/2 c confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. non-dairy milk
- Vegan food coloring (optional)
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Make the egg replacer according to directions and set aside. Cream the softened non-dairy margarine with a mixer. Add the granulated sugar and beat 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the egg replacer, vanilla, and non-dairy milk to the bowl and beat until fully mixed.
- In another bowl, add the flour and baking powder and whisk together. Slowly add to the butter mixture and beat slowly until it is mixed well and forms a ball. It will be a bit crumbly but that is okay. Add the extra tablespoon of non-dairy milk if it is too dry.
- Divide the dough into two round balls. On a flat surface, add a sheet of parchment paper and lightly dust with powdered sugar. Spread additional powder sugar on the dough and roll out into a ¼ inch thickness. Place on a baking sheet and cover with another piece of parchment paper. Repeat for the second ball of dough and place on top of the first piece of rolled out dough. Chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
- Once the dough has been chilled, remove it from the refrigerator and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat cookie cutters with flour and cut dough into shapes and place on a lined cookie sheet. Continue re-rolling until all the dough is used.
- Bake 8-10 minutes. Cookies are ready when they are firm around the edges. They will firm up more as they cool.
- To make the icing, add all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. If you prefer shiny icing, add 1 Tablespoon of corn syrup. The icing should be smooth but not runny. Add more powdered sugar to thicken. Add vegan food coloring if you like. Once the cookies are cool, decorate the cookies using a knife, squeeze bottle, or decorator’s tip. Finish with your favorite sprinkles.
- Unfrosted cookies can be frozen for later use.