This time of year, we are getting tomatoes, melon, onions, and potatoes from the local farmers and lots of them. While I love sweet potatoes, it was time to see if I can come up with another recipe than my usual baked potato with vegan butter and fresh tarragon. This Vegan Sweet Potato and Sage Biscuit is the perfect recipe because it is easy to make and the mashed sweet potato is subtle so adding the fresh sage gives it a nice earthy flavor. It’s the right recipe to get you in the mood for fall.
Allergy info: Dairy free, Egg free, Peanut Free, and Treenut free.
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 15m
- Total Time: 30m
- Yield: 8-10 biscuits
- Category: Breakfast, Dairy Free, Egg Free, Nut Free, Vegan
- 1 c non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp. vinegar
- 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. fresh sage, chopped
- 4 tbsp. cold vegan margarine, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 c cooked sweet potato, mashed and cooled
- 1 tbsp. melted vegan margarine
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees. To make the buttermilk, add the vinegar to the non-dairy milk and set aside. Wash a large, sweet potato, prick with a fork in several places and place in the microwave and cook 5-6 minutes until soft. Cut in half and let it cool.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the small pieces of cold, vegan margarine to the flour mixture and combine using your fingers to mix. Dough should resemble small pebbles. Chop the sage leaves and add to the flour mixture and mix well.
- Smash the sweet potato and to the flour mix. Slowly add the buttermilk to the mixture and combine until it is slightly sticky, you may not need all the liquid. If it is too sticky, just add a bit more flour. Place the dough on a floured surface and gently pat into a 1-inch thick circle. Using a round cookie cutter or a drinking glass cut the dough into 2-inch rounds and arrange them on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Brush the tops with melted butter and place in the oven. Bake 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
Leave a Reply