Introducing…*drum roll*…our first-ever gluten-free baked good recipe! This is so exciting for me because I have so many friends who are Celiac or can’t eat gluten and I’ve always felt bad bringing baked goods over that they couldn’t eat, so now I’m very glad to have this new skill in my back pocket. And guys! When I’m telling you this Vegan and GF Date and Zucchini Bread is amazing, I mean it! It’s soft, moist, flavorful, and mouthwatering! It’s definitely one for the recipe books!
I used a flax egg in this recipe as an egg replacement. The xantham gum, baking soda, and baking powder also work as rising and binding agents. For the non-dairy margarine, I used Earth Balance Baking sticks which are gluten-free and they have the perfect buttery flavor. I also used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All-Purpose Mix for the gluten-free flour. This flour does have garbanzo beans (chickpeas) in it, so if you’re allergic to chickpeas please use a different gluten-free flour.
I wasn’t sure what I was expecting this recipe to taste like, but it pleasantly surprised me! The flavors were incredible! Also, don’t forget to soak your dates before you put them into the mix, otherwise they’ll be hard and crunchy (which isn’t the best). For soaking the dates, I just used boiling water in the recipe. Make sure to follow the instructions because there are some pretty important steps you don’t want to miss.
That’s all for today everyone! You need to try this Vegan and GF Date and Zucchini Bread, it’s actually incredible! If you want a different bread recipe try our Vegan Zucchini Chocolate Chip Bread! And if you have leftover zucchini to use, make these Vegan Zucchini Fritters! Please let me know if you have more Gluten-free recipes you want me to make! I love experimenting, so I’m up for the challenge!
Vegan and GF Date and Zucchini Bread
- 1 flaxseed egg (1 T flax meal + 3 T water)
- ¾ c boiling water
- 1 c chopped dates
- ½ c granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp non-dairy margarine
- 2 c Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All-Purpose Mix
- 1 ½ tsp xantham gum
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ c grated zucchini
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make the flax meal egg and setaside to gel. Grease a loaf pan.
- Bring the water to boil and pour it into a large bowl. Add the chopped dates, sugar and non-dairy margarine to the hot water. Let it cool to lukewarm temperature.
- In another bowl, mix the gluten free flour, xanthum gum, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Combine the flour mixture with the date and margarine mixture and stir in the grated zucchini until it is combined well.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes.