Now that the mask mandate in the United States has been lifted for vaccinated individuals like myself, I’ve noticed more people having get-togethers and little parties. With the revival of these social gatherings, I’m sure some of you (like myself) have been stressing about the social rules of these events and how to navigate this post-pandemic way of life. For example, do these small events require a gift for the host? Do they require me to bring a dish of food? Unsure what social requirements these parties have, I’ve decided that the perfect way to solve my stress is to simply bring a platter of cookies. They could count as a host gift, a dish, or even just a friendly offering of cookies! And there isn’t a better cookie to offer than these Vegan Lavender and Lemon Shortbread cookies.
These cookies are sophisticated and packed with flavor. Bring them to any party and you’ll surely be getting compliments all night long. The lavender pairs extremely well with the lemon, while maintaining that light crisp shortbread texture. Trust me, you’ll feel like you’re in an episode of Bridgerton while eating them.
The amazing thing about shortbread cookies is that the recipe is so simple. There is only one allergy substitute for you to think about (unless you’re gluten-free, then you’ll need gluten-free flour), and that is the non-dairy margarine. I like to use Earth Balance baking sticks which come in both soy-free and vegan. Otherwise, this recipe is extremely straightforward!
I hope you love these Vegan Lavender and Lemon Shortbread cookies as much as I did. They made me feel like I was at a royal tea party or something like that! Need another cookie to bring to a small gathering? Try these Vegan Soft Sprinkle Cookies! And if you have any leftover lemon, go ahead and try this Classic Lemonade! As always, happy baking and I’ll see you next week!
Vegan Lavender and Lemon Shortbread
- 1 c non-dairy margarine (2 sticks), softened
- ¾ c confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 zest of one small lemon; about 1 ½ tsp
- 1 tsp culinary lavender; crushed or chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 ¼ c all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- raw cane sugar, optional
- Cream the non-dairy margarine and confectioner's sugar in a mixer until it is light and fluffy. Add the vanilla, lavender, lemon zest and lemon juice and mix until just combined.
- Slowly add the salt and the flour to the mix, ½ cup at a time and beat until it is fully mixed. The dough will come together slowly.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to ¼ inch in thickness. Cut cookies with desired cookie cutters and place them on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. We used 1¼ inch round cookie cutters. Sprinkle the cookies with raw cane sugar. Cover with saran wrap and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the refrigerator and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. Let cool completely.