If you like lemon than you’ll LOVE this Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf. It’s soft, moist and packed full of lemon flavor with just the right number of poppy seeds. And it’s vegan so you don’t need a lot of ingredients which makes it is super EASY to prepare.
Just the usual baking ingredients plus….
It’s so quick and easy!
For me, I love the taste of lemon because it is so refreshing and reminds me of warm, sunny days sitting on our porch, sipping a tall glass of lemonade, and indulging in a good summer read. This recipe comes with a lemony glaze which balances out the lemon and poppy seeds flavors so well.
But why wait until the summer to make this recipe. I often make this Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf on a cold, winter day. It’s a quick reminder that summer will soon be here.
What I love about making loaf or sweet bread recipes is that you can slice them to eat a little bit at a time. Put a slice in your lunch as a snack or bring it on a summer picnic as a dessert. Your kids will also love it in their lunchbox!
Not craving muffins but still want a recipe with lemon or poppy seed flavors. How about trying our equally delicious Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes and the Vegan Lemon Blueberry Thyme Scones. They are all SOOO good!
For substitutes we used unsweetened applesauce to replace the egg in this recipe. No applesauce on hand? You can also mix 1 tablespoon flax seed meal with 3 tablespoons lukewarm water. Make sure you let it sit for 5 minutes to thicken before incorporating into your recipe. For a milk substitute, we used Califia Farms Oat milk for the non-dairy milk, but you can feel free to use your favorite non-dairy milk.
Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf
- ¾ c non-dairy milk
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest, grated
- ¼ c canola oil
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 3½ tsp poppy seeds
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp non-dairy milk
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease an 8-inch loaf pan. Line loaf pan with parchment paper allowign excess over the sides. This is to help remove the bread from the pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together the non-dairy milk, lemon juice and lemon zest. Add the oil, applesauce, sugar and vanilla and mix together.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the poppy seed and mix. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and thoroughly mix. The batter should be thick. Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour. The top should be slightly browned and firm. Insert toothpick or knife into the center and they should come out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and remove to a cooling rack. Let cool completely before making the glaze.
- Combine all the glaze ingredients in a bowl and whisk until it is smooth. If it is too thick, add more non-dairy milk, 1 teaspoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Pour the glaze over the top of the loaf. Allow the glaze to cool before slicing.