Each Spring, my daughter and I get started on our garden, planting various plants from basil to tomatoes to squash. The one plant that we grow each year is our zucchini plant. I don’t know if we’re lucky or just extremely talented, but every single year our zucchini plant absolutely thrives. Each august, we get wayyyy too many zucchinis. Even after giving some away to the neighbors, I’m still left with so many zucchinis. So, I have to get creative, making up various zucchini recipes and meals. This recipe is one of those. These Chocolate Chunk Zucchini Muffins are one of my favorite ways to use the zucchini. The chocolate pairs so well with the zucchini and it creates this rich, flavorful combo.
This recipe uses a flax egg (I like Bob’s Red Mill Flax Seeds) because the flax tastes amazing with the zucchini; however, if you don’t like the taste or texture of flax, try Bob’s Red Mill Egg replacer. It works just as well and doesn’t have that flax texture. For the non-dairy milk, you can use any milk you have or prefer, but I like Califia Farms Oat Milk. For the chocolate chunks, you can use any allergy-friendly chocolate, but Enjoy Life has Semi-Sweet Chunks that are absolutely to die for!
I love these muffins so much. They are a perfect treat to bring to a party, or to eat all yourself! Either way, they are absolutely delicious. And they can be made absolutely dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, and soy-free! How wonderful is that!
If you’re like me and have way too much zucchini, don’t worry about it! I have plenty of zucchini recipes that you will fit your fancy. Looking for another baked good? Try this Vegan and GF Date and Zucchini Bread or this Vegan Zucchini Chocolate Chip Bread. Looking for a meal? Try these Vegan Zucchini Fritters or this Vegan Sweet Potato Ratatouille! Alright, I hope you loved these Chocolate Chunk Zucchini Muffins! I’ll see you soon!
Vegan Chocolate Chunk Zucchini Muffins
- 1½ c zucchini, grated
- 1 flax egg
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- ½ c whole wheat flour
- ½ c unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ c non-dairy milk
- ½ c maple syrup
- ¼ c coconut oil + 2 T water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ c non-dairy chocolate chunks plus extra for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray 6 large muffin tins or 12 regular muffin tins.
- Wash and grate the zucchini and set aside. Make the flax egg by mixing 1T flax seed with 2T water and mix well. Set it aside to thicken.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the all-purpose four, whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the zucchini, non-dairy milk, maple syrup, coconut oil, water, vanilla and flax egg.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix well. Stir in the non-dairy chocolate chunks.
- Distribute the batter evenly into the greased muffin tins. Top with a few more non-dairy chocolate chunks. Place in the oven and bake for 25-28 minutes. Muffins are done when a toothpick insert in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool. Enjoy or place in airtight container.
Leave a Reply