These vegan kale buttermilk biscuits are soft and fluffy with the buttery taste you are used to but without the real butter. The kale adds a nice earthy taste, and the parmesan gives it another boost of flavor. You can substitute any vegan cheese to this biscuit dough.
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 15m
- Total Time: 30m
- 3 c all-purpose flour
- 5 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 c vegan chilled or frozen margarine
- 1 c vegan buttermilk
- 1 c kale, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 c vegan parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp. melted vegan margarine
- course sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Make the buttermilk by adding 1 T vinegar or lemon juice to non-dairy milk and set aside in the refrigerator.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add together the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Cut the non-dairy margarine into cubes and add to the dry ingredients. Using two knives or a pastry cutter, cut the margarine until they resemble peas.
- Finely chop the kale and squeeze the lemon juice on the kale and mix well. Next, grate the vegan parmesan and add both the kale and parmesan to the bowl and mix well. Slowly add the buttermilk until the crumbs were thoroughly moistened. The dough should be slightly sticky but not overly wet.
- Roll or pat out the dough on a lightly floured surface to about ¾ to 1-inch thickness. Cut rounds using a 2-1/4 inch cookie cutter first dipped in flour. Place biscuits on baking sheet. Brush the top with melted vegan margarine and sprinkle with coarse sea salt. Bake for 13-15 minutes until golden brown.