Fall may be around the corner but its still tomato season and if you are like me, you have a lot of tomatoes to eat. This Italian crostata is an open-faced tart that is the perfect recipe for this and it will wow! your guests at your next gathering. What I love about this recipe is that the rustic, rosemary crust pairs well with the subtle flavors of the garlic, spinach, tomatoes, and basil. Because fresh tomatoes are great just as they are, no sauce is needed. Just some fresh shaved vegan parmesan is all you need.
Allergen Info: Dairy Free, Egg Free, Nut Free
- Prep Time: 1h 25m
- Cook Time: 25m
- Total Time: 1h 50m
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 9 tbsp. vegan margarine, frozen
- 3 tbsp. ice cold water
- 1/2 tsp. white vinegar
- 2 c chopped spinach
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 15 small tomatoes or 2-3 large tomatoes
- 1/2 c chopped basil
- vegan parmesan, shaved
Make the Dough
- Combine the flours, rosemary, sugar, and salt in a food processor and pulse to combine. Chop the frozen margarine into smaller pieces and add them to the flour mixture. Pulse until flour forms into small pea-sized pieces. Slowly add the water and vinegar until the dough begins to clump together but make sure it does not form a ball. Place the dough onto a floured work surface a shape into a 4-inch disk. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap for refrigerate at least a 1 hour or until it is firm.
Assemble the Crostata
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place the unwrapped dough on a lightly floured surface. Slowly roll out the dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer dough to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush dough with olive oil. Finely chop the garlic and spread over the dough surface leaving one inch around. Chop the 2 cups of fresh spinach and sprinkle over the garlic. Slice the tomatoes and place over the spinach with the tomatoes face up. Layer the tomatoes tightly together until the pie is covered leaving the 1-inch around for the crust.
- Fold and crinkle the edges around the pie to make the crust. Sprinkle the chopped basil over the tomatoes and place in the oven and bake the crostata for 25 to 30 minutes. Top with the shaved parmesan just before serving. Serve warm.