Looking for a new allergy-friendly cookie recipe? These Vegan Blood Orange and Cardamon Cookies are delightfully different! That is because the blood orange and cardamon flavors are so unexpected but go together so well. At first bite, you get the warm flavor of the cardamon spice and then the sweet and tangy blood orange taste hits you. It is like having a taste of Christmas and summer all in one bite. Don’t forget the glaze! That is the real secret to this recipe because you get an extra dose of orange flavoring with each bite, and besides, it makes them look so pretty.
These cookies would be great for a party! Can’t you just picture it? You are sitting at a garden tea party, dressed in your lovely floral dress wearing a large floppy hat on your head. There is a vintage teacup in one hand as you daintily snack on your blood orange cardamon cookies with your other hand. Such a lovely picture!
Do you like these flavors? Then you will love our Vegan Blood Orange Cardamon Scones. It is a perfect breakfast treat. Do you like cookies? Check out our amazing Vegan Chocolate Chip cookies, Vegan Soft Sprinkle Cookies, or our Vegan Lavender and Lemon Shortbread. They are all delicious and super easy to make! We have many more cookie recipes so check them out as well.
For substitutes, we used non-dairy margarine, Earth Balance baking sticks which come in vegan, soy-free and salt-free varieties. I also used unsweetened applesauce to replace the egg in this recipe. In the glaze, we used Califia Farms Oat milk for the non-dairy milk you feel free to use your favorite non-dairy milk.
Vegan Blood Orange Cardamon Cookies
- ¾ c non-dairy margarine, softened
- 1 c granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ c unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp blood orange zest
- 1½ tsp blood orange juice
- 2¼ c all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground cardamon
- 2 c powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp blood orange juice
- 2 tbsp non-dairy milk
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, add the non-dairy margarine and sugar and cream together. Add the unsweetened applesauce, vanilla, blood orange zest and juice and mix until it is light and fluffy.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking power, baking soda, salt and cardamon. Slowly add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl and beat on low for another 30 seconds, scraping the sides as you go along.
- Use a small cookie scoop to scoop the dough into round balls and place on the cookie sheet making sure they are 2" apart. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until the edges are set. The center may still be gooey but will firm up as they cool. Allow the cookies to cool completely.
- Make the icing while the cookies are cooling. Combine all the icing ingredients in a bowl and whisk until it is smooth. If it is too thick, add more non-dairy milk, 1 teaspoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Drizzle the icing over your cooled cookies.